Thursday, May 03, 2012

The significance of a father.

    Have you ever considered the significance of your earthly father?  What was/is he like?  What things did/do you like about him?  What did he teach you?  What things didn't/don't you like about him?  My guess is while you are reading this answers to these questions are coming to mind.  Maybe even with some emotion, favorable or even unfavorable, or both.  There are currently 143 million children that can't answer any of these questions above.  When we adopted Ava almost 5 years ago,  I will never forget witnessing the orphanage and seeing the poverty before me.... poverty on several fronts, in the form of lack of nutrition, the lack of care and lack of a father.  Why is it, I was blessed with a father and so many in this world don't have someone to call their father?  I am convinced these children are in a form of a prison and the evil of the world has placed them there.  The evil one is saying don't worry about the seemingly insignificant. The evil on is saying it is too difficult to adopt and it costs way too much. 
   During this process, I have witnessed God moving on several fronts to make Sara's adoption possible.  I am unequipped and unqualified to do this.  It is only through Jesus that it is possible.  Several people have commented to me, "that's a great thing you are doing"  or "you are a really good person for doing that", or "I could never do that".  Well, I have news for you, it is Jesus working in me.  He deserves all the Praise, Honor and Glory.  I'm obedient to the word.  In James 1:27, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."  We are told in God's word to meet the need.  Show His love to others,  just like he showed His love to us.  It's not complicated, it's really pretty simple, just be a father.  I didn't say it is easy.  We would like to think following God's word should be easy.  Romans 12:1-2  "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- His good, pleasing and perfect will."

 So men, what do you think?  Don't look to what you have.  Look at what you don't have and let God provide that.

Sara's father, Eric

1 comment:

MommaT said...

Well said! I love Romans 12:1-2!!