Well, as of tomorrow we will be home for 4 weeks. I can not believe how fast the time has gone. I thought that it was time to finish up our China journey since I did not post about the last several days. I will keep each day brief.
On Sunday, I forgot to mention that Eric and I, Wendy and Nancy, and the girls. ventured out across the Pearl river to the city to explore a little. The people had many shops and this is where the citizens do their shopping; we did not see any other Americans besides us. There were all sorts of foods and dried animals, including snakes, deer bones and sea horses. It was very interestings. We were SO HOT so we went inside an air conditioned "mall" type building. Inside we found strands of Pearls and Wendy and I ended up buying about 7 strands each....amazing prices.
On Monday, we traveled as a group to the Chen ancestral home. It was the home of the Chen family and had many rooms to look at, many with original art work and furniture. There were beautiful carvings of both wood and ivory. After that, we traveled to the Six Banyan Temple, which I believe was fron the 1450's. We were so hot by this point and beginning to feel not well, so I did not look around too much. We did see many Chinese worshiping there. There was a lot of incense burning and monks walking around...pretty cool I thought. There were also 3 HUGE gold buddahs that must have been as tall as our barn.
Later that afternoon, we all dressed the girls in traditional Chinese silk dresses. I bought them for Ava in every size up to 16...they are beautiful and so cheap in China...we paid about $4-$6 depending on the type of dress. We even bought her baptismal dress for about $6 USD. Anyways after the girls we dressed, we had our group photo taken and then took the girls to the famous red couch for a picture of the four of them...did not go to well, but we took pics anyways!!
Tuesday, all the "big" girls went to the jade and pearl market and the "little" girls stayed at the hotel. Well I bought about 7 more strands of pearls.....for gifts, myself and our girls...pink strands to give Ava and Maria when they turn 16 and regular pearls for when they get married.
In the afternoon, we had our consulate appt. to get the girls US visas....pretty uneventful. This is the day I started to not feel well, not realizing I was becoming dehydrated. We packed in the morning since it was our last day in Guangzhou..off to Hong Kong in the morning!!
No comments:
Post a Comment